Channahon officials urge residents to attend Illiana hearing
By Jeanne Millsap For The Herald-News July 26, 2012 11:08AM
Updated: August 28, 2012 6:15AM
CHANNAHON — Administrators and the village president are urging those concerned about the starting point of the proposed Illiana Expressway to voice their concerns at a meeting next week.
On Tuesday, the Illinois Department of Transportation will hold a public hearing on the proposed routes of the expressway at Peotone High School. It’s an issue that has many Channahon residents concerned.
The Illiana Expressway will cut a 2,000-foot swath through Illinois to Indiana, and that corridor could begin at Bluff Road and Interstate 55 in Channahon.
Gov. Pat Quinn signed legislation allowing IDOT to use quick-take powers to acquire the necessary land for the road earlier this month.
It all sounds like bad news to those on the Channahon Village Board, and they voted unanimously last week to issue a resolution opposing the Bluff Road location.
State officials say the expressway would improve east-west transportation and create jobs.
Village President Joe Cook said beginning the expressway at one of only two I-55 access points in Channahon would have a major impact on the village. In addition, 30 to 40 houses in Channahon alone could be lost in the process.
An estimated 83 houses total could be displaced total with that route. Estimates are that 12 to 29 residential relocations would be required with other routes.
Of all the routes being considered, Cook said, the Channahon one would involve the greatest destruction of homes and would close off one of only two village access points to the interstate. The other terminus being considered is just north of Wilmington, also on I-55.
The IDOT public hearing will be 5-8 p.m. Tuesday at Peotone High School, 605 W. North St.