Schools make few changes after Newtown shooting
BY JEANNE MILLSAP For The Herald-News December 22, 2012 9:01PM
Updated: January 24, 2013 6:35AM
The four grade and junior high schools in Channahon District 17 will be making minor changes to safety policies following the tragic events of the killings in Newtown, Conn., but no drastic overhauls, Supt. Karin Evans said last week.
New will be the requirement that all visitors not only show a picture I.D. on entering the building, but also to leave that identification in the front office for as long as they are inside the school.
Evans said the addition to safety protocol was suggested by the Channahon Police Department, who met with office staff in each of the schools last Monday to review procedures.
“Our number one priority is the safety of our children,” Evans said.
“That has always been our focus, and after this tragedy, we are making sure we keep our eyes on our focus and to be sure we don’t miss anything.”
Evans said office staff has always required I.D.s when parents came to pick up their children or when new volunteers entered, but they never kept them.
Keeping them in the office will remind those extra people in the building to exit through the front doors.
The action will get them their identification returned while making sure side and back doors are not used as exits, which can sometimes lead to doors being left ajar.
The measure would also help first responders know who is in the building in case of an emergency.
“Our schools are currently as safe as you can make a school without making it a prison for our kids,” Board President Michael Geldean said after the school board meeting.