Then & Now: 145 W. Main St., Braidwood
May 23, 2012 11:14PM
The "Grinchuck Pants Factory" in the 1920s. Submitted by the Braidwood Area Historical Society
Updated: June 29, 2012 9:39AM
In the 1880s, the west end of the building at 145 W. Main St., Braidwood, house a black social lodge for the African American coal mining community. From 1919 to 1974, the J. Grinchuck Co. – known as the Grinchuck Pants Factory, moved in. The company was named for its owner, Russian immigrant Jerry Grinchuck, who lived with his wife, Josephine, and daughter, Lois, in an apartment above the factory. This photo shows a couple of workers in front of the factory during the 1920s.
Submitted by Braidwood Area Historical Society
Today, Dollar General stands where the old pants factory once was housed.
Rose Panieri~Sun-Times News Group