Then & Now: Dellwood Park, Lockport
July 18, 2012 7:58PM
Dellwood Park in its heyday. | From the collection of David Belden
Updated: August 20, 2012 6:15AM
The Chicago & Joliet Electric Railway Co. built Dellwood Park in 1905-1906 to increase the number of railway riders. For more than 30 years, Dellwood Park was one of the finest amusement, recreational and picnic areas in the region. Located in Lockport, the park included a manmade lagoon, a waterfall, a boathouse, a dance hall that could accommodate 700 couples, a grandstand for races, a merry-go-round, an open-air theater, a restaurant, a scenic railway ride and other attractions that made the park a popular spot for thousands of annual visitors and society clubs from all over the area. This photograph shows a view of the Dellwood Park boathouse, boating course and dam. The boathouse, shown on the left, burned down in the late 1930s.
The now photograph shows a view across the old concrete dam and waterfall looking south from the lower landing.
Photos from the collection of David Belen.
Belden is a history teacher at Minooka Community High School and is currently publishing local postcard books with Arcadia Publishing in his local history classes. He and his students are looking for Joliet and Lincoln Highway photos or postcards for a new publication.
If you are interested in contributing a postcard image, please email him at email@example.com.