Then & Now: Channahon High School
September 5, 2012 5:10PM
Channahon High School before 1923. From the collection of David Belden
Updated: October 7, 2012 7:54AM
Six years before the village of Channahon was first laid out by Myrvin Benjamin in 1845, the first schoolhouse was built in the area. In 1869, an elegant and substantial two-story, white-framed building was erected on the southeast corner of Tyron Street and West Eames Street (Route 6). The school offered a primary and secondary school education. The two-story building, pictured in the Then photograph, burned in 1922. It was replaced in 1923 by a modest brick structure on the same corner. Channahon High School classes were discontinued in the building in 1947, when they were consolidated into Minooka High School. Today, Pioneer Path School, shown in the Now photo, operates from the old building and serves the educational needs of students in third and forth grade.
Photos from the collection of David Belden and the Local History Project digital collections. He is looking for Joliet and Lincoln Highway photos or postcards for a new publication. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 815-467-2140, Ext. 260.