Then & Now: Central Presbyterian Church, Joliet
October 10, 2012 7:22PM
Central Presybyterian Church today. David Belden and the Local History Project digital collections
Updated: November 12, 2012 6:12AM
The Central Presbyterian Church, located on Richards Street and First Avenue, was built in 1895, with Joliet limestone under the direction of the Rev. D. C. Milner and the architectural firm of Knox and Elliot. The Victorian Gothic style church, shown here in the Then image, was built on the East Side of the city as the population of Joliet moved from the city center. Organized as a church in 1844, the first Central Presbyterian Church was built in downtown Joliet on the southeast corner of Ottawa and Van Buren streets. The bell that rang for more than 40 years in the tower of the old downtown Presbyterian Church was placed in the belfry of the new church. The bell was purchased in the 1850s at a cost of $500 and for many years was the only bell in town and rang for fires as well as church services. The Now photograph shows a view of the old church today at 17 S. Richards St. Considered a local landmark, the old Central Presbyterian Church is part of the Jacob Henry Estate today.
David Belden is publishing local postcard books with Arcadia Publishing in his Local History classes. If you are interested in contributing a postcard image, email email@example.com or call 815-467-2140 Ext. 260.
Image Credit: Photos are from David Belden and the Local History Project digital collections.