Then and Now
November 14, 2012 7:34PM
The town of Carbon Hill in the aftermath of a cyclone that struck on April 22, 1912. THE DAVE BELDEN COLLECTION
Updated: December 16, 2012 6:13AM
Carbon Hill was founded in 1874 and incorporated in 1892. The village was built around the mine industry — there were four major mines around the town. During the height of the mining industry, Carbon Hill was home to numerous grocery and clothing stores, a slaughterhouse, nearly two dozen taverns and a population of 1,800. On April 22, 1912, a cyclone took down the tipple of the Big Four Coal Co. at the west end of Carbon Hill. Although no one in town was injured, 10 or more homes were destroyed. Mining in the community ended. A village of 2,000 residents working in four mines at the turn of the century dwindled to 200 by 1920. Today, there are 400 residents in Carbon Hill.
Photos are from David Belden and the Local History Project digital collections. David Belden is publishing local post-card books with Arcadia Publishing in his local history classes. He and his students are looking for Joliet and Lincoln Highway photos or postcards for a new publication.
If you are interested in contributing a postcard image, email email@example.com or call 815-467-2140, Ext. 260.