Then & Now: Marley Community Church, Mokena
December 12, 2012 7:40PM
An early view of Marley Community Church. | Photo from the David Belden collections
Updated: January 14, 2013 6:54AM
Marley Community Church, Mokena
The origins of the Baptist Church in Marley can be traced to a Baptist missionary named Allen B. Freeman, who helped organize the O’Plain Baptist Church in 1833. In 1850, a small white-frame church was built in the village of Hadley, and the church was renamed the Hadley Baptist Church. As the thriving village of Marley began to grow, ground was broken in 1899 for a new church east of town on Maple Street. Dedicated Jan. 6, 1901, the church, soon became the center of the community life. In 1914, the name was changed to Marley Baptist Community Church. Known as the Marley Community Church today, the church continues to serve the community and its residents.
The Then photograph is from David Belden and the Local History Project digital collections. The Now photograph was taken by Christine O’Brien.
David Belden is a history teacher at Minooka Community High School and is currently publishing local postcard books He is looking for Joliet and Lincoln Highway photos or postcards for a new publication. Email him at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com call 815-467-2140, ext. 260.