New Lenox schools say safety a priority
By Erin Gallagher Correspondent December 24, 2012 9:08AM
Updated: January 27, 2013 6:19AM
In response to the Newtown, Conn., tragedy, the New Lenox School Board paid tribute with a moment of silence last week.
Board President Nick DiSandro discussed the district’s actions when it heard the news.
The superintendent and associate superintendent put together a plan to talk to principals, teachers and students, he said. Also, the New Lenox Police Department took it upon itself to step up its patrol of schools.
“Your children’s safety is our No. 1 concern,” DiSandro said.
The district has security procedures in place it will not discuss publicly. However, the board invited any concerned parent to call Superintendent Michael Sass for more information.
“With 5,600 students and over 700 staff members, the weight of that is almost unbearable,” Sass said.
The district is constantly monitoring security protocol and making necessary changes, DiSandro said.