Men burned at recycling plant
By Brian Stanley email@example.com February 9, 2013 7:06PM
JOLIET — Two men were burned by melting plastic when a machine caught fire at a plant early Saturday.
Battalion Chief Ron Schroeder said firefighters were called at 12:30 a.m. to Green Earth Plastic Recycling, 711 E. Benton St.
“An electrical motor shorted out and caused an arcing fire that spread to several cardboard boxes next to the machinery,” Schroeder said.
The sprinkler system activated and extinguished most of the flames, but two men were injured when plastic inside the equipment heated up and errupted.
“Two men suffered second-degree burns to their upper bodies — face, hands and arms. One man also had burns on his back,” Schroeder said.
Both men were taken to Silver Cross Hospital. Their injuries are not considered life-threatening, according to reports.