Then & Now
March 6, 2013 6:24PM
From David Belden Collection and Mike Arbanas of Joliet.
Updated: April 8, 2013 6:05AM
Corner of Chicago and Jefferson streets looking east, Joliet
Looking east on Jefferson Street from the corner of Chicago Street, two downtown landmarks are visible on the south side of the street: the distinctive old-English style Woodruff Inn, which opened for business in 1915, and Union Station, constructed by Adam Groth and Company in 1912. On the north side of Jefferson Street the seven-story neo-Gothic Woodruff (Morris) Building, constructed in 1910, can be seen on the northeast corner and the four-story Young building just to the east. Before the railroad tracks were relocated and elevated in 1912, the Jefferson Street crossing was just east of the Young Building.
The Then photograph is from David Belden and the Local History Project digital collections and Mike Arbanas of Joliet. If you are interested in contributing a postcard image, email him at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com call 815-467-2140, Ext. 260.