Murder suspect declines public defender in case
By Janet Lundquist email@example.com July 1, 2013 8:52PM
Ray Robinson | Photo courtesy of Will County Sheriff's office
Updated: August 3, 2013 6:38AM
A Will County judge kept bail at $5 million for a Joliet man accused of shooting a teenager to death last month.
Ray Robinson Jr., 20, of 317 Youngs Ave., told Circuit Court Judge Roger Rickmon on Monday that he did not want a public defender appointed to represent him. He’s charged with two counts of murder in the shooting death of Adrian Resendiz, 18, of Joliet.
Police arrested Robinson on June 20, questioning him regarding Resendiz’s slaying before he was placed in the county jail for violating parole. He was charged Friday with Resendiz’s murder.
About 5 a.m. June 16, police were called when shots were heard in the 100 block of Hobbs Avenue, but officers found nothing amiss.
About 21/2 hours later, workers arriving to rehab a vacant house on Baker Avenue found Resendiz’s body in a fenced area near the garage.
Joliet police Lt. Brian Dupuis said detectives “backtracked” Resendiz’s activities to learn he had spent time with Robinson and Zeeshan Rashid, 18, the night before he was killed. Resendiz, Robinson and Rashid are all listed in the police department’s gang database as members or associates of the Vice Lords street gang, according to police.