Then & Now
July 24, 2013 10:10PM
Updated: August 26, 2013 4:22PM
Methodist Church New Lenox
As the population of New Lenox Township grew, a new Methodist Church was built in 1863 on Hickory Street, just east of Pine Street. By the 1890s, a new church was needed and was constructed on the northeast corner of Church Street and Haven. The impressive building, with its many large and beautiful stained-glass windows, opened in 1899, and is shown in the Then photograph. The church served the congregation for nearly 80 years and was sold when a new church was constructed west of town in 1977, on the old campground property. A similar view of the old church is shown in the Now image.
David Belden is a history teacher at Minooka Community High School and is currently publishing local postcard books with Arcadia Publishing in his Local History classes. He and his students are looking for old Joliet photos and postcards, and images from Joliet’s parks, for a new publication. If you are interested in contributing a postcard image, email him at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or call 815-467-2140, Ext. 260.