Gegenheimer to stay in Minooka school post
By Kris Stadalsky For The Herald-News April 30, 2012 8:14AM
Updated: June 3, 2012 8:05AM
MINOOKA — There’s been a lot of hubbub in the Minooka Grade School District community about whether Superintendent Al Gegenheimer would be staying or leaving the district.
Gegenheimer confirmed that he will indeed be staying in Minooka. The school board, in closed session Thursday night, worked out a four-year contract with Gegenheimer.
He had been working without a contract for several months, he said in a phone call Saturday.
It really wasn’t an issue until he received an email right before Christmas that Union School District in Joliet was interested in considering him for the position to replace retiring Superintendent/Principal Barbara Littlejohn.
Gegenheimer decided to apply for the position, mainly because it’s where he first started as a superintendent and also because the position would allow him to work with children.
“I am not unhappy (at Minooka 201),” he said. “They (the board) are not unhappy with me.”
Gegenheimer was one of 23 candidates interviewed for the Union position and one of four who were called back.
In the meantime, Minooka had been working on Gegenheimer’s contract since December.
After meeting with the board in several closed sessions, Gegenheimer accepted a four-year contract and a 6 percent salary increase.
Money has never been the issue, Gegenheimer said. In fact, he turned down salary increases twice in the past three years, he said.
Gegenheimer’s contract is valid for four years, at which time he will be eligible to retire. Security was the overriding reason he sought a four-year contract, he said.
His salary increase is the same amount teachers receive. The increase will bring his annual salary to $144,445.
“I feel lucky and blessed,” he said. “I didn’t go into teaching to get rich. I went into it to help the kids.”